Sunday, November 16, 2008

Rejoice in Suffering

“Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” (Rom 5:3-5, NIV)

This week was rough for me. I guess I had to pay for overdoing it the week before. Monday morning I woke up not feeling like my usual self. My throat was scratchy and I felt a bit achy. I did the usual, said a prayer, took a couple of Tylenols and went about my day; my busy day! I left the house early in hopes to get a few things done before Women’s Bible Study at 9:30AM. Afterwards, I met Jim for lunch then headed for the office. I spent most of the afternoon hunched over the keyboard inputting data in the computer till my shoulders ached. I made it home that evening greeted by the list chores that had to get done, such as preparing dinner, clean-up; laundry, etc. Tuesday morning came too early as far as I was concerned. Another day of achy, tired bones followed by an evening of crash! I couldn’t go any longer. At about 5 my body told me it was time to give it up. Reluctantly, I did and got the much needed rest I’d been missing. Wednesday came and by afternoon I was finally back to normal! Praise God!

All too often we run ourselves ragged that our bodies have no choice but to let us know enough is enough. We go here and there, do this and that on a 100 mile an hour journey to nowhere. I must confess last week was a blast!
I had lots of fun and God blessed me greatly in my journeys, but I know I was too much on the go and therefore payment was due this week.

This was my schedule last week: Monday I did my usual Bible Study, work and evening at home duties: Tuesday was “Girl Talk”, work, and the usual. Wednesday I put in a full day at the office and Thursday I worked a full day as well. That evening I went to the Florida Hospital Gala which included dinner and an amazing performance by Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman. Needless to say we got home quite late. Up again early Friday, at the office till noon and a slew of errands following. First, I stopped by Samaritan’s Touch (which was and amazing testimony), took a couple of tests at SFCC; went grocery shopping, visited the bank and Walgreens, then headed home to make dinner. At six I left for a Southern Living Party at Jodi’s and returned home later than desired. Saturday the same old same old, house cleaning (always an undesirable chore), went to visit mom, prepared for Bible Study, cooked a great dinner, cleaned up and made it to bed by eleven. Rising early Sunday morning; several of my close friends and I headed for Orlando’s “The Gathering Place” church. Darlene Scheck of Hillsongs was the guest speaker and the group was ministering in concert that evening. What a night! We got home past midnight and as usual I was up early the next day eager to begin my weekly routine. No wonder I was worn out! Let’s face it I don’t know how to slow down! Relaxing is not my favorite pass time.

I’ve always been that way. I can’t sit still! So when I felt like I was getting sick, of course I chose to ignore it. Thank God I’m kin to the mighty Healer! The One that with just a word can calm any storm, He makes the lame walk, and the blind see. I am so thankful that He is the very One who gives me breath; the One that heals my sickness and calms my fears. He is the One that gives me the hope and the strength I need to make it through each day, each trial. He is always with me, He’s my closet friend. He is the One who picks me up and sets my feet on solid ground. If I know this, and I do then why do I worry and fret? Why do I fear what the future might bring? Why do I let a day on the couch get me down? If God is for me who can be against me? Why is it so hard to rejoice in my sufferings?

Dear God, I Thank You for all You are doing in my life. Help me to see each day as a blessing, an opportunity to love and serve you more. When I grow weary of doing Lord, thank you for being my strength. Help me Lord to rejoice in my sufferings and to know that you are in control. I love you. Amen.

No comments: