Sunday, April 5, 2009

He Puts the Dance in Our Feet and a Song on Our Lips

Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.”

God never ceases to amaze me. The other morning I woke up early, probably around 4:30 (for some of you that may not be too early but for me it is). I was troubled by so many things and I could not go back to sleep. So, I just laid there thinking. I had a dream about going to grammas birthday party. Our eldest son was around six years of age and it was just the two of us. We were driving in an unfamiliar town, looking for a street I’d never been on. It was a bit overwhelming for me especially since I don’t like going to unfamiliar places. We got lost and asked someone for directions and finally made it to the party. Everyone there was dressed as if it was the year 1950. Their waists were tiny! They were all just minding their own business and paying no attention to my son and me. It was weird. I don’t know what actually woke me from the dream but needless to say I’m glad something did. I don’t think I ever saw grandma, which was probably just as well. I want to hold the memory of her the way I last saw her, when she still knew who I was. Following that dream I found myself in my “worry zone.” My mind was racing and it wouldn’t stop!

Finally, when I was through with the chaos; I got up and clicked on my computer. I guess I was just looking for something to take my mind off of my cares. I checked my e-mail and I had received a message from a friend. It was the prayer of St Theresa. Here is how it read:

St. Theresa’s Prayer
“May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing that you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of you.”

I’d never heard this prayer before but at that moment it spoke big to me. I was worrying about things I have no control of. I allowed myself to lose sleep over circumstances that only God could handle. Why? Haven’t I learned by now that He who spins the earth is the very one that can turn every situation around, should He choose to?

I decided to look up St Theresa’s Prayer on the internet and see when it was written and to whom. I actually had a hard time finding what I was looking for. Instead, what I did find were several opinions from people who found fault rather than good in these beautiful words. Some stating that it was not of her and that it didn’t sound like a prayer at all, but rather a “wishful thinking new age meditation.”

Regardless, of what others think, God used that Prayer to calm my fears and lead me once again to a place of total trust in Him. My friend’s e-mail brought me to my knees in the mighty presence of My Lord and Savior. It reminded me that no matter what I face, I am to be content as Phil 4:11-13 states.
“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” NIV

It also reminded me that in every circumstance, I am to praise Him, no matter what. He alone is working everything out for my good because I am His daughter; whom He has called to do His perfect will.

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Rom 8:28 NIV

So I say thank you to my dear friend who listened to her heart and sent me those words of encouragement. God knew I needed them.

He knows where we are at all times. When we lose our way, He gently lifts us out of our pit and places us back on His “peace track.” As He lovingly calms our fears, He puts love in our heart, dance in our feet and praises on our lips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,
I met you last year at MOPS and happen to run into your blog page and absolutely love it. Thank you for sharing. I sent you an invitation to my blog page via email. Thanks for all your words of encouragement....