Saturday, March 29, 2008

Have You Been Commissioned?

I received this e-mail the other day from Jason Brown, the Director of Highland’s County’s Youth for Christ.

This is what it read: “Today, 21 Middle School Students made first time decisions to follow Jesus at about 8:15 am- Tuesday March 25…God Bless your Tuesday!Jason”

What an amazing report! God is truly working in our young people. He is changing lives. Through the willing YFC staff, each week, He is making Himself known on middle and high school campuses throughout Highlands County.

I am often annoyed with the fact that many people think teens are a nuisance and have no value. I am here to tell you that is far from the truth. As a volunteer with YFC leading a group of beautiful young ladies in what is known as “Girl Talk” I have come to know some pretty awesome teenagers. I believe what God’s word says: “He has set eternity in their heart” (Ecc. 3:11). I am seeing firsthand that He is raising up a generation on fire for His truths and willing to share His promises. It is truly a blessing and an honor to spend time each week with these fine ladies; sharing Christ’s love with them and receiving the same in return.

In attending the YFC Staff meeting this evening I heard reports of the many student leaders who facilitate Bible Studies on their own time, as well as 250+ students who are praying around the flag poles of their schools each week. God is doing some amazing things.

Jesus told His disciples of the great commission in the book of Matthew chapter 28:19-20: “Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you; and lo. I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

In these two verses Jesus is laying out the command for all of us. We are to go, teach and baptize. Just as His disciples were to observe all that He commanded them, so are we. Do we have to be great scholars to share the Good News? No. Do we have to have some form of degree to share God’s love? No. Do we have to be a Pastor? No. All we have to be is one of His children and have a willing heart. A heart that says “Yes Lord” I’ll go.”

“Also, I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I, send me.” Isaiah 6:8

You must read the whole chapter six to understand the full meaning of the verse above. I’ll attempt to give you a brief description of what is taking place. Isaiah was in the presence of God and immediately, he realized how dirty in sin he was. He was convicted and therefore repented. God in His loving mercy cleansed him and then sent him on his mission: to share the Good News with a rebellious world; a people who would not accept the Messiah to come for who He truly was. Sound familiar? Much like our commission today right? Fortunately, there are many young receptive hearts desiring to know that someone loves and cares for them. What a privilege to be used by our Heavenly Father, in leading these teens not only to their Savior but to a life that is forever changed, as well.

If you are seeking an avenue to be used by God and are being called in the direction of youth ministry, I encourage you to pray about Youth for Christ. Ask God if this is where He’d have you serve either financially or physically and then when confirmation is given, e-mail me and I’ll put you in touch with the right people. May God richly bless you as you seek to serve, as Christ commissioned. Let’s make disciples of young people who can truly make a difference in their world. You don't have to live in my area. Youth For Christ is in many cities and towns. My e-mail address is terriotterman@hotmail.com

No comments: