Sunday, January 11, 2009

Each New Year Brings New Resolutions

A New Year no doubt brings new resolutions. And with those resolutions, the old passes away and all things become new, right?

Things don’t change overnight, at least not in the world I come from. People don’t just flip a switch and everything is hunky dory. Change takes time and time brings change. It’s the whole cycle thing. We first are planted in the womb, then born as little babies, we grow to be toddlers, pre-teens, teens, young adults, adults (in mid-life crisis) and then, yes “living the life Seniors”! I have never known anyone born an immediate adult, have you? So why then, do we expect our toddlers to act like grown-ups, our teens to live like adults and our spouses to be perfect, all in one day? Why do we hold such high expectations of others? Why can’t we accept one another as we are in spite of our weaknesses? Is it really so hard to be kind and encouraging rather than scolding and abusing?

I went to return a gift today, that I had bought my dad for Christmas. It was something that he just couldn’t use so I offered to do what I despise, wait in the return line at Wal-Mart! The line was long and the employees no doubt were ready for their shift to be over, but Wal-Mart came through with my return, no questions asked. The cashier handled my request for a refund without a receipt, with kindness, care and a smile. Thanks Barbara!

I said all that to say this. In my rush to get to work, I mistakenly took 2 spaces in the Wal-Mart parking lot. After I did my business, as I was walking towards my car I noticed what I had done and thought to myself, “Wow, I took two spaces and didn’t even know it.” I shrugged it off as a mistake and kept walking. Upon getting closer, I noticed a note in my driver’s door. As I pulled it out, the paper tore and the signature of the writer remained in the handle. I began to read the note and was amazingly shocked at what was written. The note read something like this: “Why don’t you learn how to drive so someone else can have a parking space!” When I pulled the remaining piece out of the door in an attempt to see who wrote it, I realized the signature was not really a signature after all. It was rather, a derogatory name that began with dumb but didn’t stop there! If that was the author’s name, shame on his or her parents. Even on their worst day I can’t imagine giving any of our children such a name.

What is it about our world today? We can’t wait in line at the grocery without murmuring, we can’t sit at a red light without complaining, or park at the end of the lot without finding something to gripe about? Instead we should be thanking God for the money to spend, a car to drive and legs to walk with. Rather than sharing kind words of understanding we bark and growl ravenously at one another, as if we are fighting for our last meal. God help us!

Where is our love, where is our compassion? Have we forgotten what the scriptures say? Have we forgotten the greatest of all commands?

In Matthew the twenty second book and thirty seventh verse, Jesus responded to the lawyer’s question in this way: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.” NISB

Who in their right mind if he loved himself, would murder an innocent child or take the life of a mother? Who would beat and rape an innocent woman for mere pennies? Who would rob a bank and torment an innocent teller? Who would slander his opponent and tear down his reputation all for a position of power?

Over and over, if you watch the news you find countless victims of such heinous crimes.
Why? In my opinion, it’s because there are too many people walking around lost and in need of a Savior. Likewise, there are many who have known Him and lost sight of who He really is.

2Corinthians 5:17 says “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold new things have come.”

So let’s talk real New Year resolutions…forget the diets and the promise to spend less. Forget the trip to the gym everyday and getting organized. Those are all well and good. Why not make a change that’s more important? Why not make a change of the heart? Let’s resolve to speak kindly, share abundantly and love unconditionally. Let’s go back to the Golden Rule of “Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.” Let’s become the new creature verse 17 talks about. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: