Tuesday, March 17, 2009

She must have known


Ps 149:33 Let them praise His name with the dance ;Let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp. NKJV

I never told my mother how much I loved the ballerina cake she made for me on my 18th Birthday. It wasn't fancy, just an ordinary Betty Crocker Cake, but it was made by her with much love. Adorning the top of it was this beautiful ballerina figurine. Amazingly, 30 years later I still have the ornament. I ran across it when I opened a box that had been packed away since hurricane Charley.
I, in the depths of my heart as a young girl, wanted to be a dancer, but no one knew. Ballerinas and dancers were beautiful, I thought. I remember my friends at school talking about taking dance lessons, and wishing I could join them. But that wasn't in my plan, at least not that kind of dancing; and I'm okay with it (good thing, it's a little too late for that now). These days, I dance before my Lord whenever I please and shake my timbrel (tamborine) to boot, and that is far better than anyone can imagine.
I held on to the ornament not because I worshipped it, but because it was something my mother picked out specifically for me. Somehow, I wonder if she knew. It seemed she always knew more than I ever told her, and usually she was right on the money.
In our house we rarely went without a birthday cake. When it was our special day we knew, even though there may not be a wrapped gift, we would have the gift of cake! Our mother made sure of it. Even though it is harder now that our children are grown, I do my best to follow in her footsteps. Thanks mom for beautiful memories and wonderful traditions. I love cake and I miss you, dearly!

No comments: