Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In the Palm of His Hands

“If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him, be the glory and the power, for ever and ever. Amen.” 1 Peter 4:11 NIV

What words come out of your mouth? Are they the words of God or self? When you do a deed, does your strength to complete it come from your flesh or from God’s Holy Spirit within you? Many times we get caught up in the “I can do it myself” attitude. We think that nothing is impossible for us, rather than believing that all things are possible with God. We feel that no matter what hole we are in, in our own strength, we can dig ourselves out of it. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don’t

As I look upon our country’s present financial status, I can’t help but wonder, “What are we going to do? Or where in the world will recovery come from? That is where I am at fault. Instead I should be praising God for
He has already won the battle. He is our Jehovah-Jirah, our provider; and we must believe that nothing is impossible for Him.

Nothing I do is worth a dime if I don’t have His blessings in the doing. Nothing I say can change the hearts of man, if His Spirit did not order the speaking. Nothing I have will ever be enough, because I own nothing, and He owns all! The Bible states in Psalm 50:

Ps 50:7-"Hear, O my people, and I will speak, O Israel, and I will testify against you: I am God, your God… I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine. If I were hungry I would not tell you for the world is mine, and all that is in it. Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats? Sacrifice thank offerings to God; fulfill your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble. I will deliver you, and you will honor me." NIV

All the riches in the world belong to Him. He just allows us to use them for a time, a season. If He decides to take them back, we must be willing to give them up. When He closes one door, He always opens another, often with bigger and better things. Maybe we don’t see it that way, but He does. He is the only one with perfect vision. He knows everything and He is faithful.

So then, why are we afraid? Why do we worry? Why do we, eyes glued to the screen; watch for hours, the falling stock market? Why do we with ears wide open, listed intently to negative news? Hopefully it’s because we still feel there’s hope. Hopefully, it’s because we as a whole, are yearning for a major miracle; one that only God can provide. Then if that be the case we must learn to trust Him and offer thanksgiving and praise offerings rather than moaning of fear and defeat. He’s in control; the world is in His hands. Scriptures tells us in Luke:

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:32-34 NIV

I know I’ve written about this verse in previous columns, but I can’t stress it enough. God is continually showing me that nothing I own, nothing I do, nothing in my carnal man is worth anything; if I don’t have His Spirit living and breathing in me, directing the paths of my life. He wants the best for you and me. He desires prosperity for us, if not in this life in our life eternal. Our hope and our future must be in Him.

“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jer 29:11-12 NIV

Where is your hope? Is it in what you can do, or is it in what He can do? Is your faith so weak that you don’t believe He cares, or is it so strong that you know He owns it all?

No comments: