Monday, October 13, 2008

A Friend Loves at all times


I met my special friend 30 years ago; if I remember correctly, it was on my 18th birthday and what a blessing she has been to me ever since. This past Wednesday she passed on to be with her Maker, but she will forever be in my heart. Gramma Child has taught me that true friendship never dies. She taught that in life we all make mistakes and we just have to let bygones be bygones. Relationships and people are much more valuable than the pain. Life is full of pains and in order to make it through we must get up and go on.
Isn't she beautiful?

I cannot remember a time when Gramma didn’t love me. She was always happy to see me, always excited when I called. She never failed to open her home and arms to me. She never shut me out and for that I am grateful.

I remember the many coffee breaks with homemade muffins and the New Year’s Eve Oyster Casserole and the many dinners we shared on the “farm” as she called it. I’ll never forget the hobo dance night when she and Grampa dressed up with red noses and old clothes and headed for the dance floor. I can still see them riding their 4-wheeled bicycle; built exclusively for the two of them, because of Grampa’s inability to see.

I will never forget the day we beheaded and de-feathered the dozen roosters, in hopes to have extra food to cook for our growing family. Unfortunately, I could not cook our former pets, so guess who did the honors? Likewise, I will never forget “Hot-Rod Gramma” as she chauffeured me all the way to Arcadia pedal to the medal; while I labored, eager to deliver our little Philip 9who decided he wanted out five and a half weeks early!). And the memories go on and on.

I remember the days at Cactus Lane on the porch while the kids rolled across the floor on the footstools Grampa made. And the many at Sunny Hills as well, with Long Johns (in case you didn’t know, these are chocolate iced donuts filled with Bavarian crème, her favorite) and coffee; I on the little stool, her in her chair, sitting and talking for hours. It was fun witnessing her winning cards at bingo and the pile of candy she won but rarely ate. And I remember sitting in the lobby just watching everyone together, few words spoken. What precious memories.

She, just like Grampa loved to talk about the past. Her favorite stories were ones about the kids. In her mind she could still see Marissa running after Alan down the driveway; with Philip and Clay tagging behind, all the way to her house. And yes, she always mentioned their diapers half hanging down their bottoms and their dirty little hands and feet (we lived on 10 acres at the time and the kids loved to run around and play in the mud, what do you expect?).

One of the last things we talked about when she was in the hospital just two weeks before she passed, while she was still coherent, was the fact that time has flown. I asked her if she realized that we’d known each other 30 years and I will never forget what she said to me. She said: “Yes, that’s a long time.” Then she said, “I’m glad I met you” and I responded; “I am glad too Gramma.” That conversation will ring in my memory forever.

She knew I loved her and I knew she loved me too. Occasionally we’d say it but if we didn’t, we still knew.

Proverbs 17:17 states: “A Friend loveth at all times.” True friends don’t have to do extraordinary things for each other to show how much they care. True friends are there when times get rough. I am thankful that I had the privilege of being with Gramma during her rough times, and just the same that she remained with me during many of mine.

The Word of God tells us that our days are numbered and that there is a season for everything; a time to be born as well as a time to die. It’s funny how God works. This week our friends Heidi and Andrew by God’s sovereign grace, brought their third little girl into the world and carried her home with them; likewise, God decided it was time to carry His little girl Edith Lucina Child, at the young age of 94, home with Him this week, as well.
What a wonderful day it was for both of these little girls.

No comments: