Saturday, October 25, 2008

Turn Back to What Matters most

Have you ever left an area, school or place of business thinking that you departed on good terms, only to find that isn’t really the case? Have you ever discovered that the friends you thought you had are the very ones that turn on you in your absence? The ones that deny your friendship by blurting lies, are the ones that once in your book, were your closest friends?

Well you are in good company. Even Jesus had to face those facts. On the very night of His final fellowship dinner, His Last Supper, with His disciples, Jesus tells them that one of them will betray Him. Immediately, they question among themselves as to who this will be. They could not believe that either would hurt their best friend and teacher.

Luke 22:31-35
"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." But he replied, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me."

So here Jesus tells Peter that he will deny Him (Jesus) three times before the rooster crows. But Peter doesn’t believe Him. Peter loves Jesus. He could never dream of denying his friend.

“Then seizing Him, they led Him away and took Him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, "This man was with Him." But he denied it. "Woman, I don't know Him," he said. A little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." "Man, I am not!" Peter replied. About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with Him, for he is a Galilean." Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown Me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.” Luke 22:54-62 NIV

Obviously, Peter was afraid for his life. Sometimes out of fear people defend themselves, maybe it’s the fear of a relationship falling apart or that they might get into trouble, and in his case even killed. Whatever the reason, denying Christ is never right. Jesus was and still is the best friend we could ever ask for. He loves everyone. Why then was He so hated and mistreated? Because, it was in the plan that God had laid out for His life. He really had no choice. Sometimes, we have no choice in the way our lives turn out or in the way people mistreat us either. We lose friendships and relationships because of some miscommunication or lie that someone shares. Somehow through it all, we go on, and things work out for the best in the long run.

I remember when I was young a certain girl told me a story about my boyfriend. I was to marry this guy (or so I thought) and her comment broke my heart, our friendship, as well as my relationship with him. I never really knew the whole truth but I chose to believe what I’d heard, and the cards were drawn. As I look back, I am thankful how it turned out. If it had been different, I would not have given birth to our beautiful children, and my life would not be where it is today. God had His hand on me, even back then.

God knew also, that Peter, after his mistake, would make a turn around and be one of His greatest witnesses. He had to allow him to go through the agony of his failure to bring him where He wanted Him to be.
Oftentimes in life we must go through agony to get to the place where God ultimately wants us to be as well. When our plans are not in line with His, He makes a way and puts us back on track. If you are going through something and don’t understand why, maybe everything was going good and now a hedge of thorns blocks your path; maybe God is trying change your direction. Maybe He is trying to turn your attention back, to what matters most, Himself.

No comments: