Saturday, May 2, 2009

Happy Anniversary to My Precious Gift From God

This Saturday, May 2 (today), is our 12th Wedding Anniversary, and I couldn’t be happier with anyone else! God has given me a man that truly lives by the scripture in Ephesians:

“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…” Eph 5:25 NIV

Now, I’m not saying that Jim and I never argue, nor that he or our marriage is perfect. We all know that none of us is perfect, right? There’s only one, according to God’s Word, and that is God, Himself.

What I am saying is that Jim truly loves me (and I him), and of that I am certain. I can tell by the way he treats me, by the way he looks at me, and how he cares for me. Jim always has my best interest in mind. He opens my doors; walks behind or beside me, carries my bags and locks me in when I’m home alone. But most of all I am certain because he loves His Maker. He loves Him with a love that is evident. He acknowledges His greatness no matter what. He believes God is in total control, and working all things out for our good.

Rom 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” NIV

Jim knows that the outcome of this life will always be better than the beginning, because we are promised a life of eternity with Christ.
It’s evident in the way he lives. It shows in his actions. It resounds in his speech. And it reflects from his heart.

2 Cor 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” NIV

Our relationship wasn’t always as it is today. We’ve had our share of agonies that nearly destroyed our marriage, but God was faithful, in that by His grace we were redeemed and our marriage restored! And am I ever so thankful! I couldn’t imagine living the rest of my life with anyone else! I am truly happy and blessed to have the man of my dreams as my spouse and God in the center of our marriage! I am thankful, that when I was confused, He gave me peace to withstand the storm, and wisdom to make the right choices.

1 Cor 14:33 “For God is not the author of confusion but of peace...” NKJV

Eccl 2:26 “To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness…” NIV

What is your marriage like today? Are you happily married, or is your marriage on the rocks? Does your spouse meet all your expectations, and set your world on fire? If you said yes, I’m shocked. Only God can fill every need, every desire, every dream. Only the One, who created you, could know you one hundred percent. Is He the center of your world?

Depending on how we see our spouse, determines the outcome of our marriage. If we see him/her as a blessing, when we learn to lessen our expectations, our marriages will blossom. We live selfish lives, thinking our spouse owes us something, and that is far from the truth. As we change our views, so will our marriage change. Song of Solomon has it right when it reads:

“My beloved is mine, and I am his: he feedeth among the lilies.” Song of Solomon 2:16 KJV

Jim loves to tell me I am his, and likewise I him, but sometimes when we’ve been outside all day (in this Florida heat), my odor is far from the smell of sweet flowers. But that doesn’t make him love me less. When he snaps at me in anger (because I’ve done something stupid), I don’t run to the phone dialing the attorney. Instead, we both see our faults as temporary, and know that they too shall pass. We’ve learned to accept each other, just the way we are, regardless.

The rule in our house is “divorce is not an option.” We are in this for the long haul and are enjoying every moment of the run. That is love, unconditional, unexpecting, unwavering, true love.

“Happy Anniversary Honey. I love you with all my heart. May we enjoy many more happy years together.”

No comments: