Friday, June 20, 2008

What will be read in your memoir?

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been 4 weeks since I’ve started my new job! Where is all the time going? It seems every time I blink another day goes by. About a month or so ago Andrew, our Pastor spoke a message he titled; “Don’t Blink”. In this message he spoke about how fast our lives pass and that we should never forget to spend time with the ones God has placed in our path. Let’s face it, life is short and what we do in the time frame we have really does matter! How we live, who we love (or don’t love), what we do and the places we go make a huge difference in not only our life but the lives of those around us.

Have you ever stopped to think just how many family members and friends you actually know or have been exposed to? Think back a moment about the many folk that have passed through your life. There are those you knew in high school, and those from your growing up years. What ever happened to those friendships? Why have many of them been deleted from our lives? Likewise, we all have family members we’ve known and some we’ve never even met. Some we have loved and still do and others we’ve merely tolerated over the years or no longer see.

My 30th class reunion is this July and I have yet made the decision to attend. I’m not sure if I really want to. Because I have not seen my classmates in many years it will be awkward. On one hand I think, what will we talk about, on the other I wonder what type of influence I can be.

I believe many people pass through our lives for a reason. Some stay for a short while, others our lifetime. Some have taught us great things and some brought nothing but hurt. What is neat to me though is that each one leaves a memory of some kind. Whether good or bad, each has a paragraph, page or chapter in our life story, each a memory that we can cherish or choose to forget. I remember sitting with Grandpa many hours and listening to his reminiscing about the good old days. I remember him telling stories of his life as a young man before he lost his sight. I remember sipping coffee and just sharing time. Now whenever I get the chance I sit with Grandma. We share sometimes over coffee, and sometimes not. She speaks of Grandpa and when our babies were little. She tells her memories of her other grandchildren and her children. She remembers a lot at her young age and it amazes me. She is so beautiful in my eyes! But I know that time is running out, not only for her but for me as well; for all of us as a matter of fact. It’s a scary thought. Life is such that we are here one day here and possibly the next will be gone. I’m not afraid to die, don’t get me wrong. Just re-affirming my desire to leave positive recollections for those I leave behind; if not in book form, in memory.

Jesus left many great memories behind for His family and friends. He even left some extraordinary ones for those who hated Him! In the Gospels we find that He healed, performed miracles, loved and served many and in return what did He receive? Worse yet, what is He receiving from us today?
If you have never read His story, I encourage you to. If you’ve never befriended Him, I persuade you to get to know Him and build a relationship with Him. If you’ve never accepted His gift of life, I beg you to find Him, surrender your life and take hold of the many blessings He desires to give you. Knowing Him is truly amazing. His friendship will be like none other you have ever experienced or can imagine. Why not grab a Bible and read His story. Maybe just maybe you will find a bit of Him in your own life but if you don’t, ask Him into your heart, talk with Him, walk with Him, laugh with Him and love with Him. Before you know it, you’ll be penning your own exciting memoir.

1 comment:

USSCC said...

NOT TO WORRY MY DEAR ONE I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU BY THE WAY YOU LOVE AND FOLLOW JESUS AND IF EVERYONE
TAKES THE TIME TO KNOW YOU THEY WILL SEE THE SAME WOMAN I HAVE COME TO KNOW AND LOVE.