Friday, September 5, 2008

Headed for Boot Camp

I am extremely proud of our son Clay. Nearly two weeks ago he made his final decision to join the United States Army. What an honor to have a son in this day and time, willing to boldly, without reserve, choose to serve his country, knowing the difficulties he may face.But, even though I am proud, I must confess I feel like my worst nightmare is coming true. My emotions have taken over and it seems these days I can rarely keep a dry eye. I remember about 3 months ago sitting in the recruiter's office- tears running down my face wishing I could wake up from this bad dream. All I could think of, was my youngest could be deployed. Though I still have those fears I know God is in control. I must surrender and place my once little boy, now grown up man; into the only hands that are able to protect him from harm. I am certain that I can speak for all moms in my shoes by saying that this is a tall order to fill. It is one that requires extreme faith and undivided trust.
I thank God that through Him I have the faith and trust I need. In Him I have the strength to face each day. In Christ I can do all things because the Word of God states that very fact. Even though there are circumstances beyond my control I know the Maker of the Universe has full control. He has my and my son’s best interest in mind.

As a mother it hurts to know that someday my child may be farther away than I desire and quite possibly stationed on enemy territory. It grieves me that I won’t be able to pick up the phone and hear his voice quite easily. My heart aches of the fact that he won’t be a hop skip and jump away. As parents we don’t realize how fast time flies until it’s gone. We rarely think that our little ones will soon be grown-ups, living their own lives and doing adult things. We take for granted that today they are here but tomorrow may be gone. Each day I awake I become more aware of that very fact. But as many kind people have encouraged; I must believe that he is in good hands and that he will be fine.
I ask each of you as you read this to please say a prayer for Clay and the many other young men who’ve decided to serve their country as well as for the many who will be making that decision in the near future. They deserve our love, respect and prayers as they commit to risk their lives so we may remain free!
Clay is scheduled to leave September 15th, all too quickly for me but not soon enough for him. His decision to serve our great country took great courage and is an honorable one beyond measure. May God keep him safe and safely bring him home.

No comments: