Saturday, September 27, 2008

Piercing on Duty 24/7

As i was digging through my desk drawer today I ran across a column that I wrote several months ago and decided to post it on my blog. I hope you enjoy it.

“But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities, the chastening for our well-being fell upon Him and by His scourging, we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5 NASB)

The other day as I was driving on Highway 27, I saw a sign that read, “Piercing on duty.” As I do with most everything I see or read I began to analyze it in order to learn what exactly the advertiser was trying to say. It was quite obvious that the maker of the sign had one goal in mind and that was to take home some cash that day. No doubt this Pierce Artist was trying to drum up business for himself. Hopefully it worked and his piggy bank now runneth over.

Growing up, in my home piercing was not an option, at least not until we were high school age. Even though we had a house full of girls my parents did not believe in the act. In fact I, in the secret of my bedroom, pierced my own ears at the ripe age of 17 and just in time for Senior Prom. When my mom found out I pierced my own ears, she wanted hers done also. Doing my own wasn’t so bad but piercing my mom’s was like major surgery, I was scared! I did what I did before, ice, needle, push and ahh, they were beautiful!

Nowadays, as soon as a little girl exits the womb it seems, someone’s putting a gun to her ears. Maybe the reasoning is so people can tell her gender; kind of like taping little pink bows on your daughter’s head if she is lacking in the hair department. But things are different today. Both genders are wearing stones in both ears, that’s just the way it is. And you don’t have to look too hard to find piercing in places that back in some of our days would be unheard of. I guess we live in a free country and people need to express themselves, to each his own. In one way or another we all get our ideas and passions out. Praise God I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to put mine on paper.

When I think of piercing, one thing comes to mind and that is the greatest of all piercing. The day my Savior, Jesus Christ took the nails for me and for you was the greatest moment of all. That day many years ago, Jesus paid the ultimate price for our freedom. He surrendered His will, took on the form of a criminal and was crucified to death so we could be set free. Every sin we’ve ever committed as well as those to come, are wiped clean because of His willingness to die; providing we accept the gift. And, to top it all, on the third day after His death He was resurrected to the Heavens where He sits today pleading to God the Father on our behalf.

Why did He do it? He didn’t have to. He could have stopped it all. He had the power to put an end to the whole thing. But He didn’t. He didn’t because He had you and me in mind. He knew we were coming, He knew were sinners and would need a Savior. He chose us before we were born. He knew how messed up we would be. He knew in the midst of our distress, we would turn to Him. When we couldn’t handle life any more, when our baggage was too great to bear, He knew. He knew exactly what it would take and in confidence He patiently waited. Aren’t you glad? I am.

For twenty-three years now I’ve been a Christian. I surrendered desperately, back then, pleading His forgiveness. I was a mess. My life was in shambles. I was insecure and searching. Searching for at the time only God knew what. All it took was one look. One look in the eyes of my loving Savior and I became a free woman. The roads I’ve traveled since then haven’t all been smooth and I’ve encountered an avalanche or two along the way, but when I look over these past years I know without a doubt, my steps have been ordered by the Lord.
Gratefully, I take each one knowing that without Him I cannot and will not be the woman He has called me to be. Without the love of the One whose hands and feet were pierced for my sins, without the One who spent hours hanging on a tree, without His resurrected body, I’d have no hope. We’d have no hope.

So, if we want to talk about piercing on duty, let’s talk about Jesus. He’s on duty 24/7 and His piercing lasts through eternity. Why not stop in and see his beautiful work for yourself.

No comments: