Saturday, May 3, 2008

Do your very best to make a difference

“Show me O Lord my life’s end and the number of my days, let me know how fleeting is my days.” Psalm 39:4

Wouldn’t it be nice to know exactly how long we were to be on this earth? If you knew what would be the first thing you’d change about your life? Would your actions begin to reflect your faith? What would you do different?

“Now listen, you who say, today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city; spend a year there, carry on business and make money. Why you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say if it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:13-15

How often do we make plans for our future and find they haven’t quite worked out the way we expected? In fact, many times what happens is just the opposite of our good intentions. We focus one way while all along God is trying to lead us in another direction. Unfortunately it takes several hard knocks to make us finally see the full picture, until we finally hear the voice of our Father. Why, are we so deaf and blind that we have become insensitive to His call?

We are not promised tomorrow, therefore, we should do our very best today.
Our goal should be to live like we have only one day left. If that were true; we would live like Christ (if we are a Christian, that is). We would talk like Him, walk like Him and look like Him. “But, how do we do that”, you might be asking? God’s Word is everything we need to understand this kind of living. Christ is the best example we have and therefore, if we read about Him we will learn exactly how He lived. The Bible is the exact recording of His life, how He lived, how He died and of His rising on the third day. Read it yourself, and see that what I say is true.

We experienced the celebration of our friend Tavis’ homecoming the other day. What I mean is, God called Travis home. At an unexpected time for all of us, He called him to become one of His roommates in the sweet by and by. God was ready to share His Heavenly pad with Travis. I imagine His words to him must have been something like this: “Come my beloved, in you I am pleased, sit at my table, dine with me, dance with my angels, I’ve prepared a place for you and it is ready. Come and share my love for all eternity.” What a calling!


Ecclesiastes states: “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die…”

It’s inevitable; we are all going to die someday. We are all going to some other place, away from here, for the rest of eternity when our time is up. For this reason it is vitally important that we make the most of every moment. It is a must that the decisions we make are bathed in prayer and the answers to our most important issues are sought after, in His Word.

“Be careful then how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15-16

Our lives are like a vapor, they will disappear as we know them and we will be no more in the flesh. How will we be remembered? I was encouraged to know that Travis will be remembered positively. I am encouraged that I still have time to make good memories at least today or at least in this moment. My prayer is that God molds me and makes me the woman He desires me to be. I pray that my memories will be positive ones and that my life on earth impacts the lives of others; for Christ’s sake. I pray that for you too.

As you go through each day (sometimes stumbling) I hope that God places in you the desire to make a difference in someone else’s life. I pray that He places someone in your path that you can touch for Christ’s sake. I pray that someone sees Jesus in your eyes, in your actions and in your life.

No comments: