Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jogging my memory

What a day! I am the M.O.P.S. Mentor for GBC's Sebring group and what fun! I love all the young moms who so eagerly come for fun, fellowship and time alone together!! Being a mom is not easy especially when you have little ones under the age of 5! But I must say those were some of the best times of my life. Today in our metting a couple of us seasoned moms had the privilege of answering questions that many younger moms had. We spoke of potty training, disciplining and loving all at the same time. I must say jogging my memory after 16+ years was a challenge. It seems the older I get the more I find I've forgotten!
While many of the challenges are similiar, the way moms handle them today are quite different than the way we handled them back then.
Proverbs 13:24 instructs us: "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." Also, "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him." Prov 22:15
Praise God His Word is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He never changes. I believe the real reason children are rebellious and disruptive today is because parents are less apt to discipline their children. For whatever reason, they are allowing these young ones to get away with the little things in which case eventually turn into bigger ones. My plea to moms today is please go back to your roots and discipline your children the way God instructs, the way our parents did. After all, if our God chastens those He loves what better role-model do we have to follow? But remember this one thing, do everything (even discipline) with love as unto your Heavenly Father.

No comments: